By Mindy Berman, Managing Director at JLL
- Public MOB-specialist REITS were the top buyers in early 2017 by a long stretch – their share prices were nicely rewarded given the stable and durable income profile of medical office.
- Healthcare Trust of America and Physicians Realty Trust were the most prolific with total acquisitions of $3.4B – nearly two-thirds of 1H 2017 sales of $5.4B (MOBs larger than 25,000 SF) – driven by $2.2B of Duke Realty’s healthcare assets.
- Institutional managers remain very active given high levels of fundraising focused on healthcare and medical office.
- The Big Three healthcare REITs – HCP, Welltower and Ventas –remained disciplined with acquisitions while non-listed REIT fundraising has limited their supply of new investment capital.
- Collectively, these investor groups represented 83% of all MOB sales in the first half, the highest concentration ever, signaling that investment capital is following experience.
Copyright © 2017 Jones Lang LaSalle IP, Inc. All rights reserved. All information contained herein is from sources deemed reliable; however, no representation or warranty is made to the accuracy thereof. No part of this publication may be reproduced by any means, whether graphically, electronically, mechanically or otherwise howsoever, including without limitation photocopying and recording on magnetic tape, or included in any information store and/or retrieval system without prior written permission of Jones Lang LaSalle IP, Inc. Jones Lang LaSalle Brokerage, Inc., California license # 01856260. Jones Lang LaSalle Americas, Inc., California license # 01223413.